Lattice Cherry Pie
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 3 hr
- 8 servings
- 2 (16 oz.) cans pitted tart red cherries, water pack
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
OR 2/3 cup Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 5 tablespoons ice cold water
- DRAIN cherries, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- COMBINE granulated sugar, brown sugar and cornstarch in large saucepan. Stir in reserved cherry liquid. Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Cook and stir an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- STIR in almond and vanilla extracts, butter and food coloring. Stir in cherries. Cool slightly.
- HEAT oven to 400°F.
- COMBINE flour and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water one tablespoon at a time, mixing with fork until flour is moistened. Form dough into 2 balls.
- PLACE one ball on lightly floured surface. Flatten and roll to form an 11-inch circle. Place into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim 1/2 inch beyond the edge of plate. Fill with cherry mixture.
- ROLL out remaining dough. Cut dough into 1-inch strips with a decorative pastry wheel or sharp knife. Place strips over pie in a horizontal direction. Fold alternate strips back; place a strip vertical across top. Unfold strips, and fold the strips back that are under the last vertical strip. Place another strip vertically across. Continue until pie is completed.
- TRIM pastry strips even with edge of bottom crust. Fold bottom pastry over lattice strips and seal. Flute edge. Cover fluted edge of pie with 1 1/2-inch strip of foil to prevent excessive browning.
- BAKE 45 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Remove foil strip during final 15 minutes of baking time.