Italian Turnovers with Marinara Sauce
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 15 min
- 6 turnovers
- 3 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried whole Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 to 2/3 cups ice-cold water
- 36 slices pepperoni
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, cooked, well drained and crumbled
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried whole Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Combine flour, Italian seasoning and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter and cream cheese with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water, a little at a time, until mixture is moistened.
- TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Flatten and roll into 18 x 12-inch rectangle. Cut into six 6-inch squares.
- LAYER pepperoni, sausage, green pepper, onion, mushrooms and cheese slightly to one side of center of each pastry square, dividing ingredients evenly among squares.
- MOISTEN edges of pastry; fold unfilled side of pastry over filling to form a triangle. Seal edges with fork. Cut slits in pastry to vent steam. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- BAKE 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Make sauce while turnovers are baking.
- COMBINE tomato sauce, chopped tomato, parsley, sugar, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and cayenne pepper in small saucepan.
- COOK over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with turnovers.