Irish Stew with Shamrock Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 3 hr 30 min
- 6 servings
- 2 pounds boneless lamb, stew meat
- 2 pounds (2 large) potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon chicken-flavored bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
OR 1/4 cup Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- HEAT oven to 325°F.
- TRIM fat from lamb; cut into 1-inch cubes. Arrange all stew ingredients in 3-quart casserole with lid.
- COVER; bake 2 to 3 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove stew from oven.
- INCREASE oven heat to 450°F.
- PLACE flour in medium bowl. Cut in shortening using pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is the size of peas. Add milk gradually, tossing with fork, just until blended. Turn onto lightly floured surface.
- FLATTEN dough; knead by folding in half 3 to 5 times. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thick. Cut using lightly floured shamrock-shaped cookie cutter. Arrange biscuits over stew.
- BAKE uncovered 15 to 18 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.