Hot Cross Buns
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 30 min
- 36 rolls
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 to 120°F)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Unbleached Bread Flour, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup raisins
- Grated peel of one orange
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- DISSOLVE yeast in warm water in large bowl. Heat milk in medium saucepan over low heat; stir in butter. Cool to lukewarm. Stir in sugar and salt. Add to yeast mixture. Add eggs; blend well.
- COMBINE 4 1/2 cups bread flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, raisins, and orange peel in large bowl. Add gradually to liquids; mix well.
- TURN onto lightly floured surface. Knead about 5 minutes, adding flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Coat a deep bowl with about 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Add dough, turning to coat surface.
- COVER with damp towel or plastic wrap; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- HEAT oven to 375°F. Spray baking sheets with no-stick cooking spray.
- PUNCH down dough. Pinch off golf ball-size piece of dough; roll into smooth ball. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- CUT a shallow X using sharp knife in top of each bun. Mix egg yolk and water; brush over tops of buns.
- BAKE 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Drizzle glaze in cross shape on top of buns. Serve warm.
- COMBINE powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk and lemon extract; mix until smooth and of drizzling consistency.