Hearty Beef Stew with Herbed Dumplings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 50 min
- 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 pound stew beef, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh minced thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
oil in Dutch oven or stockpot. Add beef; brown on all sides. Drain. Add beef broth, vegetables, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
egg and milk together in small bowl. Mix flour, parsley and thyme in large bowl. Add egg-milk mixture to flour mixture; stir to make a stiff dough.
dumpling batter by teaspoonfuls into simmering stew. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Dumplings are done when they float on top of liquid.