Great Pumpkin Cake with Scary Streusel Filling
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 5 hr
- 16 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Few drops each yellow and red food color, to make orange
- 1 green ice cream cone
- Spearmint or peppermint leaves on vine, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup (6 oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Green gel food coloring
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray 12-cup fluted tube pan lightly with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE streusel ingredients in small bowl; set aside.
- COMBINE flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in large bowl; set aside.
- BEAT brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter and vanilla in large bowl on medium speed of electric mixer about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- ADD flour mixture alternately with pumpkin and sour cream, beating on low speed until just combined.
- SPOON half of cake batter into prepared pan. Spoon streusel mixture into center of batter, being careful not to touch sides of baking pan. Spoon remaining cake batter over streusel, spreading to edge of pan.
- BAKE 55 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Invert on cooling rack to cool completely. Makes one cake. Repeat to make second cake.
- BEAT cream cheese and butter in very large bowl until smooth. Mix in pumpkin and vanilla. Add powdered sugar as needed to reach desired consistency. While stirring frosting, add drops of food color to desired orange shade, if desired. Beat frosting until smooth.
- PLACE one cooled cake, rounded side down, on large serving platter. Spread about 2/3 cup frosting over top. Place second cake, rounded side up, on top to make pumpkin. Frost with remaining frosting to cover.
- MAKE vertical lines in frosting with knife to shape pumpkin. Trim green, flat-bottom ice cream cone to desired height for stem. Place upside down on cake.
- DRAW design for eyes, nose, and mouth on white paper; place on flat baking sheet. Cover with piece of waxed paper; set aside. In heavy-duty resealable bag, microwave 1 cup chocolate chips on LOW until melted, about 3 minutes, massaging bag every 30 seconds. Cut off tip in one corner. Pipe chocolate on waxed paper, matching design on paper.
- CHILL 10 to 15 minutes or until set. Carefully peel off waxed paper. Arrange on pumpkin to create face. Use green decorating gel, if desired and mint leaves to create vines and leaves.