German Chocolate Cake with Coconut Pecan Frosting
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 40 min
- 8 servings
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 1 (4 oz.) package German's sweet chocolate bar
- 2 1/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup PET® Evaporated Milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat three 9-inch round cake pans with flour no-stick cooking spray. Line with parchment paper. Coat paper with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- MELT chocolate bar over low heat or microwave 2 to 4 minutes on MEDIUM (50% power), stirring several times. Cool. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- BEAT butter about 30 seconds. Add sugar gradually; continue beating 5 to 7 minutes or until mixture is very light. Blend in melted chocolate, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with 2 parts buttermilk. Beat at low speed after each addition just until combined. Spread batter evenly in prepared pans.
- BAKE 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- COMBINE evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks and butter in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla, coconut and pecans. Let cool, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches a spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake.
PET is a trademark of Eagle Family Foods Group, LLC, used by permission.