Fresh Strawberry Shortcake
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 40 min
- 6 servings
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup half-and-half, plus 2 teaspoons to brush tops
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- HEAT oven to 450°F. Combine flour and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is the size of peas. Whisk 1/3 cup half-and-half with egg. Add to flour mixture, stirring with fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Form into a ball; knead gently 2 to 3 times.
- ROLL dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, leaving as little dough as possible between cuts. Gather remaining dough and re-roll one time. Cut as described above. Discard scraps. Place 1/2-inch apart on baking sheet. Brush tops lightly with 2 teaspoons half-and-half.
- BAKE 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- STIR strawberries with remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Beat whipped cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Split shortcakes in half. Spoon berries between layers and onto top. Top with whipped cream.