Focaccia with Red Peppers and Onions
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 30 min
- 10 servings
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105 to 115°F)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Unbleached Bread Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Crisco® 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus 2 tbsps., divided
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Crisco® Olive Oil No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted black olives
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- DISSOLVE yeast in warm water in large bowl. Add sugar. Blend flour and salt in medium bowl. Gradually add to dissolved yeast. Add 1/4 cup oil.
- TURN onto lightly floured surface; knead 5 to 10 minutes, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- COAT a large bowl with small amount of olive oil. Place dough in bowl, turning to coat surface. Cover with damp cloth or plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Spray a baking sheet or two 9-inch round cake pans with no-stick cooking spray.
- PUNCH down dough. Shape dough into two balls. Roll each ball into 9-inch round diameter; place on baking sheet, or press dough into cake pans. Cover with damp towel or plastic wrap; let double in size (about 45 minutes).
- HEAT 2 tablespoons oil in medium skillet. Add bell pepper and onion; saute until tender.
- MAKE indentations in dough surface with fingers. Gently press bell pepper and onion into each round of dough. Sprinkle with rosemary, olives and coarse salt.
- BAKE 20 to 30 minutes or until brown.