Dried Apple Stack Cake
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 1 day
- 12 servings
- 5 1/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 5 cups water
- 1 pound dried apples
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
oven to 425°F. Coat 9-inch round pans with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- This batter holds well and may be baked in several batches depending on oven size and number of pans available.
flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in large bowl; set aside.
brown sugar and shortening in large bowl 5 to 7 minutes or until light using an electric mixer at medium speed. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating on low speed after each addition until just combined.
dough into seven portions (about 3/4 cup each). With floured hands, pat dough into prepared pans.
about 10 minutes, or until golden crust forms. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
water to a boil in large pan, such as Dutch oven.
dried apples (this is easily done in a food processor fitted with metal blade). Add apples to boiling water. Cook uncovered over medium heat until almost all water is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes.
brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
an even amount of hot filling between each cake layer, stacking one layer on top of the last, leaving top layer plain. (Work quickly as filling is easier to spread when hot.)
stand 24 hours before cutting. Sift powdered sugar over top of cake before serving, if desired.