Dried Apple Stack Cake
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 1 day
- 12 servings
- 5 1/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 5 cups water
- 1 pound dried apples
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Coat 9-inch round pans with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- This batter holds well and may be baked in several batches depending on oven size and number of pans available.
- COMBINE flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in large bowl; set aside.
- BEAT brown sugar and shortening in large bowl 5 to 7 minutes or until light using an electric mixer at medium speed. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating on low speed after each addition until just combined.
- DIVIDE dough into seven portions (about 3/4 cup each). With floured hands, pat dough into prepared pans.
- BAKE about 10 minutes, or until golden crust forms. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- BRING water to a boil in large pan, such as Dutch oven.
- CHOP dried apples (this is easily done in a food processor fitted with metal blade). Add apples to boiling water. Cook uncovered over medium heat until almost all water is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- ADD brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- SMOOTH an even amount of hot filling between each cake layer, stacking one layer on top of the last, leaving top layer plain. (Work quickly as filling is easier to spread when hot.)
- LET stand 24 hours before cutting. Sift powdered sugar over top of cake before serving, if desired.