Decorative Sugar Cookies
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 40 min
- 3 dozen 2 to 3-inch cut out cookies
- 4 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Frosting and cookie decorations of choice
- Royal Icing
- Shiny Sugar Cookie Frosting
- Buttercream Frosting
- WHISK together flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Set aside. Beat butter and shortening in large mixing bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar. Beat until light and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- BEAT in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as possible with mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Divide dough in half. Spoon each half onto plastic wrap. Shape into disks and wrap tightly. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight until dough is easy to handle.
- HEAT oven to 375º F. Using one disk at a time, place dough on floured surface and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out cookies with floured cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugars, if desired.
- BAKE 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies are slightly golden. Remove immediately to cooling rack. Cool completely. Frost with Royal Icing, Shiny Sugar Cookie Frosting or Butter Cream Frosting, if desired.