Cornmeal Custard Pecan Pie
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 2 hr
- 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 4 tablespoons ice cold water
PECAN PIE FILLING
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup light cream or whole milk
- 1/3 cup White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
flour and salt in large bowl or bowl of food processor. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives, or if using food processor, add using a quick pulse, until mixture is the size of peas.
water a little at a time, tossing lightly with fork, or pulsing food processor only a few times, until dough is moist enough to hold together when pressed together.
onto lightly floured surface; press into a ball. Flatten ball and fold in half. Repeat three times. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
oven to 350°F.
dough on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer dough to 9-inch pie plate by loosely rolling around rolling pin. Center rolling pin over pie plate; unroll, easing dough into pie plate.
edges of dough, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Fold edge under. Flute dough as desired. Cover with plastic wrap and chill while preparing filling.
melted butter and sugar in large bowl. Beat in egg yolks, cream, cornmeal mix and vanilla. Beat egg whites in medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into filling. Fold in pecans. Pour into pie crust.
30 minutes. Cover top with foil tent that does not touch the filling. Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until center is set.