Cornbread Hoppin' John
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 42 min
- 8 servings
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, diced into 1/4 cubes
- 2 (15.8 oz.) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Cornbread recipe from White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix, (see directions below)
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
bacon in medium skillet until crisp. Remove bacon; drain skillet, reserving bacon drippings.
2 tablespoons drippings to skillet. Add onion and bell pepper; cook about 4 minutes, just until tender.
black-eyed peas and hot pepper sauce. Heat until simmering.
cornbread recipe according to directions on cornmeal mix package, except use a 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake 12 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into 2-inch squares.
with black-eyed pea mixture. Top with salsa, sour cream and crumbled bacon, if desired.