Coconut Almond Biscuit Braid
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 1 hr
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- Melted butter
- HEAT oven to 375°F.
- FILLING: Melt butter in medium saucepan. Stir in coconut, sugar, honey and milk. Bring to boil over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool. Stir in almond extract.
- DOUGH: Place flour in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until crumbs are the size of small peas. Make a deep well in the center of the flour mixture. Stir in buttermilk with a fork just until dough forms. If dry flour remains in bottom of bowl, add 1 more tablespoon buttermilk and stir. (All the flour may not be fully incorporated.)
- TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Press dough into a ball. Knead 7 to 10 times. Press or roll dough into a rectangle about 1/2-inch thick.
- COAT baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray. Place dough on baking sheet. Roll out to a 12 x 10-inch rectangle. Gently lift sides of dough to loosen from pan. Spoon cool coconut mixture in an even strip down the center of the dough.
- On each side of the filling, CUT diagonal slits in dough 1 inch apart. Lift strips of dough up and diagonally over the filling, alternating sides and overlapping ends of strips, creating a braid.
- BAKE 22 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Cool on baking sheet on wire rack 10 minutes.