Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cream Pie with Chocolate Crust
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 2 hr
- 8 servings
- 1 cup White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
OR 1/3 cup Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Jif® Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet baking chocolate, cut in small pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- HEAT oven to 450°F.
- COMBINE flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Cut in shortening with pastry cutter or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water one tablespoon at a time. Toss with fork. Repeat just until mixture is moistened and can be formed into a ball. (The dough should hold together when picked up and pressed, and should not crack.) Flatten ball; chill 30 minutes.
- ROLL out dough on lightly floured surface to a 12-inch circle. Transfer dough to 9-inch pie plate by loosely rolling around rolling pin. Center rolling pin over pie plate; unroll, easing dough into pie plate. Trim excess pastry from edges, leaving a 3/4-inch overhang. Fold edge under. Pinch between thumb and forefinger to shape. Prick bottom and sides with a fork.
- BAKE 8 to 10 minutes.
- COMBINE flour, granulated sugar, cornstarch and salt in heavy saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes, or until thickened.
- STIR about one-fourth of hot mixture gradually into beaten egg yolks. Add egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Stir in peanut butter and vanilla until melted. Remove from heat.
- STIR chocolate pieces into mixture, leaving some chunks unmelted. Pour hot mixture into baked crust. Let stand 1 minute; swirl melted chocolate chunks using knife. Cool completely.
- WHIP heavy cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Spread whipped cream over top of pie; garnish with chopped peanuts.