Chili with Cornmeal Pie Crust
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 15 min
- 6 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
OR 1/2 cup Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening, plus 2 tbsps., divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (16 oz.) can chili beans, undrained
- 1 (12 oz.) can Mexican-style corn, drained
- 3/4 cup salsa or picante sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 4 tablespoons ice cold water
- 3/4 cup (6 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Sour cream
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Lightly spray an 11 x 7-inch dish with no-stick cooking spray.
- MELT 2 tablespoons shortening in large skillet. Add onions and green pepper; sauté until tender. Add ground beef; cook until browned. Drain.
- STIR in beans, corn, salsa and cumin. Heat over low heat while preparing crust.
- PLACE cornmeal mix into large bowl. Cut in 1/2 cup shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water, tossing with a fork to combine. Press into prepared pan. Layer ground beef mixture over crust.
- BAKE 30 minutes.
- COMBINE cheeses, milk, Worcestershire sauce and dry mustard in small bowl. Spread over the ground beef mixture. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until crust is browned.
- COOL 15 minutes before serving. Top with sour cream, if desired.