Chili with Cornmeal Pie Crust
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 15 min
- 6 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, plus 2 tbsps., divided
- 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening, plus 2 tbsps., divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (16 oz.) can chili beans, undrained
- 1 (12 oz.) can Mexican-style corn, drained
- 3/4 cup salsa or picante sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 4 tablespoons ice cold water
- 3/4 cup (6 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Sour cream
oven to 350°F. Lightly spray an 11 x 7-inch dish with no-stick cooking spray.
2 tablespoons shortening in large skillet. Add onions and green pepper; sauté until tender. Add ground beef; cook until browned. Drain.
in beans, corn, salsa and cumin. Heat over low heat while preparing crust.
cornmeal mix into large bowl. Cut in 1/2 cup shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water, tossing with a fork to combine. Press into prepared pan. Layer ground beef mixture over crust.
cheeses, milk, Worcestershire sauce and dry mustard in small bowl. Spread over the ground beef mixture. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until crust is browned.
15 minutes before serving. Top with sour cream, if desired.