Chicken and Dumplings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 45 min
- 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour, divided
- 3 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, chilled
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- MELT butter in Dutch oven. Whisk in 1/4 cup flour. Reserve 1/2 cup chicken broth for dumplings. Gradually stir remaining chicken broth into Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- PLACE 2 cups flour in large bowl. Cut in shortening using pastry blender or 2 knives just until shortening is the size of peas. Stir in reserved chicken broth just until dough leaves sides of bowl.
- TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead 2 to 3 times. Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut dough into 2- x 1-inch strips. Return broth to boiling. Add dough strips to boiling broth.
- REDUCE heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through, stirring occasionally. Stir in pepper, milk and cooked chicken. Simmer 5 minutes.