Chicken and Dumplings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 45 min
- 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour, divided
- 3 (14.5 oz.) cans reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
OR 1/4 cup Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening, chilled
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups cooked, diced chicken
- MELT butter in Dutch oven. Whisk in 1/4 cup flour. Reserve 1/2 cup chicken broth for dumplings. Gradually add 2 cans and remaining chicken broth from third can into Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- PLACE 2 cups flour in large bowl. Cut in shortening using pastry blender or 2 knives just until mixture is the size of peas. Blend in just enough chicken broth until dough leaves sides of bowl. Pour any remaining broth into Dutch oven.
- TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead 2 to 3 times. Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut dough into strips, about 2 inches x 1 inch. Return broth to boiling. Add dumpling strips to boiling broth.
- COVER; reduce heat to low. Simmer 15 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through. Stir occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking. Stir in pepper, milk and cooked chicken. Cook about 5 minutes or until heated through.