Buttermilk Hush Puppies with Onions and Bell Peppers
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 30 min
- 24 servings
- 1 quart Crisco® Pure Peanut Oil
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1/2 cup White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red pepper
oil in deep fryer or very deep heavy pot to 365°F.
cornmeal mix, flour and baking soda in medium bowl.
together egg, buttermilk, onion and bell pepper in small bowl. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
sure oil is at correct temperature before adding batter. If you do not have a thermometer, you can test using a cube of bread. The bread will brown within a few seconds, without absorbing very much oil.
batter by rounded tablespoonfuls carefully into hot oil. Fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
will rise to surface when done.
hush puppies with metal tongs or metal slotted spoon; turn onto paper towels to drain.
oil to return to temperature before repeating with additional batter.