Petite Cakes with Strawberry Buttercream
- Prep Time:
- 50 min
- Cook Time:
- 1 hr 15 min
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 15 min
- 32 cakes
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
Sour Cream Pound Cake
- 2 3/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Strawberry Buttercream Filling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 whole strawberries, pureed
- 1/3 cup finely chopped strawberries
Poured Fondant Glaze
- 9 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 whole strawberries, cut into quarters, juice drained on paper towels
- Paper baking cups
- HEAT oven to 325º F. Spray two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/4-inch loaf pans with flour baking spray.
- WHISK together flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside. Beat 1 cup butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add sugar. Beat until light and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition. Scrape batter from sides of bowl as needed.
- ADD flour mixture to batter alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Stir or beat on low speed until combined. Add 1/2 teaspoon each lemon, almond and vanilla extracts. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes on wire rack. Remove from pans. Cool completely.
- BEAT 1/4 cup butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add 2 cups powdered sugar, milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat on low until blended. Beat on medium until light and fluffy. Stir in strawberry puree. Reserve 1/2 cup filling to decorate top of cakes. Cover and refrigerate. Stir chopped strawberries into remaining filling until well blended. Cover and refrigerate while cutting cakes.
- SLICE each pound cake into 16 1/4-inch thick slices using a serrated knife. Cut two rounds from each cake slice using a 1 1/2-inch to 1 7/8-inch cookie cutter. Using filling with chopped strawberries, spread onto half the cake rounds. Top with remaining rounds making small cakes. Place cakes on cooling rack 2 inches apart. Set rack over shallow pan or waxed paper to catch drips.
- COMBINE 9 cups powdered sugar, corn syrup, water, clear vanilla and almond extract in a large heat-proof bowl over simmering water. Stir until blended, warm and smooth. Spoon or pour warm frosting over cakes. Drippings may be scraped from pan or paper and reheated for use again. Allow cakes to set 2 minutes. Lift from rack with metal spatula. Trim bottom edges with sharp knife. Set into paper baking cups. Before serving, dollop or pipe reserved filling on top of each cake and top with strawberry quarter.
- Store in airtight container for up to three days.
Serving Size (1 cake of 24), Calories 380 (Calories from Fat 80), Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 85mg, Total Carbohydrate 73g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 61g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 2%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.