Pepper Cheese Cornbread
- Prep Time:
- 5 min
- Cook Time:
- 30 min
- Total Time:
- 35 min
- 8 servings
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, plus 1 tbsp., divided
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1 1/3 cups milk or 1 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack pepper cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Coat an 8 or 10-inch heavy skillet with 1 tablespoon oil. Place in oven to preheat. Or spray an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan with Crisco® No-Stick Cooking Spray.
- BLEND cornmeal mix with milk, 1/4 cup oil and egg. Stir just until blended. Add remaining ingredients, stirring gently. Pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE 25 to 30 minutes for 8-inch skillet, 20 to 25 minutes for 10-inch skillet or 25 to 30 minutes for 8 x 8-inch pan.
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of recipe), Calories 300 (Calories from Fat 140), Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 4.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 730mg, Total Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 2g), Protein 8g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 15%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Bread is done when the loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped. At that time, remove from the pan immediately and let cool.
If batter does not fill every cup of the muffin pan, put a few tablespoons of water in the empty cup to keep muffins moist and to protect the pan from warping.