Mexican Corn Bread
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 40 min
- Total Time:
- 50 min
- 8 servings
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, plus 1 tbsp., divided
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
- 1 (8 3/4 oz.) can cream-style corn
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup taco-flavored shredded cheese
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat a 10-inch iron skillet with 1 tablespoon oil. Place in oven to preheat.
- COMBINE all ingredients except cheese, stirring just until moistened.
- POUR half of batter into hot skillet; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Pour remaining batter over cheese.
- BAKE 35 to 40 minutes.
Serving Size (1/8 of recipe), Calories 350 (Calories from Fat 170), Total Fat 19g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 75mg, Sodium 790mg, Total Carbohydrate 38g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 3g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 8%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
When making muffins, mix wet and dry ingredients just until moistened. The batter will still be lumpy. Over-mixing will result in tough, heavy muffins.
To eliminate rims around the edges of quick breads, grease baking pans on bottom and only 1/2 inch up sides.