Mexican Corn Bread
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 40 min
- Total Time:
- 50 min
- 8 servings
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, plus 1 tbsp., divided
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
- 1 (8 3/4 oz.) can cream-style corn
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup taco-flavored shredded cheese
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat a 10-inch iron skillet with 1 tablespoon oil. Place in oven to preheat.
- COMBINE all ingredients except cheese, stirring just until moistened.
- POUR half of batter into hot skillet; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Pour remaining batter over cheese.
- BAKE 35 to 40 minutes.
Serving Size (1/8 of recipe), Calories 350 (Calories from Fat 170), Total Fat 19g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 75mg, Sodium 790mg, Total Carbohydrate 38g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 3g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 8%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Bread is done when the loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped. At that time, remove from the pan immediately and let cool.
The amount of flour needed to knead bread dough varies based on the climate or season. Flour absorbs moisture from humid air, and loses moisture to dry air.