Hot Cross Buns
- Prep Time:
- 30 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 30 min
- 36 rolls
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 to 120°F)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Unbleached Bread Flour, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup raisins
- Grated peel of one orange
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- DISSOLVE yeast in warm water in large bowl. Heat milk in medium saucepan over low heat; stir in butter. Cool to lukewarm. Stir in sugar and salt. Add to yeast mixture. Add eggs; blend well.
- COMBINE 4 1/2 cups bread flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, raisins, and orange peel in large bowl. Add gradually to liquids; mix well.
- TURN onto lightly floured surface. Knead about 5 minutes, adding flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Coat a deep bowl with about 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Add dough, turning to coat surface.
- COVER with damp towel or plastic wrap; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- HEAT oven to 375°F. Spray baking sheets with no-stick cooking spray.
- PUNCH down dough. Pinch off golf ball-size piece of dough; roll into smooth ball. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- CUT a shallow X using sharp knife in top of each bun. Mix egg yolk and water; brush over tops of buns.
- BAKE 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Drizzle glaze in cross shape on top of buns. Serve warm.
- COMBINE powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk and lemon extract; mix until smooth and of drizzling consistency.
Serving Size (1 bun of 36), Calories 130 (Calories from Fat 30), Total Fat 3g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 75mg, Total Carbohydrate 22g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 7g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Fill muffin cups 2/3 to 3/4 full for perfectly shaped muffins, or fill cups full for larger mushroom-shaped, bake-shop-style muffins.
Check quick breads 10-15 minutes before end of baking time. If browning too fast, cover loosely with foil.