Gingerbread People Cookies
- Prep Time:
- 30 min
- Cook Time:
- 10 min
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 40 min
- 18 5-inch cookies
- 3 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- Royal Icing
- WHISK together flour, ginger, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cloves and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl. Set aside. Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses. Beat 30 seconds. Add flour mixture. Beat on low until combined (dough will be sticky). Divide dough into thirds. Spoon each third of dough onto plastic wrap. Shape into disks and wrap tightly. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or until firm (may refrigerate up to 2 days).
- HEAT oven to 350º F. Using one disk at a time, place dough on floured surface and roll out to 1/8 to 1/4-inch thickness. Dust with flour as needed to prevent sticking. Cut out cookies with floured cutters. Place shapes 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- BAKE 8 to 10 minutes for soft cookies or 11 to 12 minutes for crisper cookies. Remove immediately to cooling rack. Cool completely. Make Royal Icing. Decorate cookies as desired.
Serving Size (1 cookie of 15), Calories 220 (Calories from Fat 40), Total Fat 4.5g (Saturated Fat 2.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 290mg, Total Carbohydrate 41g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 20g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
For softer cookies, reduce baking time by 1-2 minutes. For crisper cookies, increase baking time by 1-2 minutes.
To prevent cookies from becoming soggy, allow them to cool completely on wire racks before storing in an airtight container.