Easy Chicken and Dumplings
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- Total Time:
- 25 min
- 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons milk or buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- COMBINE flour, parsley, butter, milk and egg until dough forms. Turn onto lightly floured surface; knead 5 times.
- ROLL out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch wide strips, then into 2-inch pieces; set aside.
- HEAT oil over medium-high heat in Dutch oven. Add onion and celery; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add chicken; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- ADD broth, water, pepper and salt; heat to boiling. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- INCREASE heat to bring chicken mixture to full rolling boil; add carrots. Add dumplings one at a time. Cook, stirring gently, 10 minutes or until dumplings are cooked and carrots are tender.
Serving Size (1/8), Calories 280 (Calories from Fat 90), Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 3.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 85mg, Sodium 900mg, Total Carbohydrate 24g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 2g), Protein 24g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 45%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 10%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.