- Prep Time:
- 30 min
- Cook Time:
- 40 min
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 10 min
- 12 servings
- 1 1/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour, sifted before measuring
- 1 3/4 cups sugar, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 3/4 cups egg whites, 12 to 14 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh lemon peel
JEWELED LEMON SAUCE
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- HEAT oven to 375°F. Set out clean, ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- SIFT together flour and sugar three times; set aside. (This is important to achieve a light cake texture.)
- BEAT egg whites, cream of tartar and salt using an electric mixer on high speed until very stiff peaks form.
- SIFT about 1/4 of the flour mixture over egg whites; gently fold. Repeat with remaining flour mixture, 1/4 at a time. Fold in vanilla. Remove 1/3 of batter; set aside.
- BEAT egg yolks, 2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons sugar until thick and pale yellow. Stir in lemon peel. Pour egg yolk mixture over reserved one-third batter; fold until blended.
- SPOON white and yellow batters alternately into tube pan. Run knife gently through batter to remove air pockets and to swirl the two batters.
- BAKE in lower third of oven 35 to 40 minutes.
- INVERT pan; cool with pan in place. When completely cool, remove from pan. To remove, run a thin knife up and down between cake and pan to loosen. Serve with warm Jeweled Lemon Sauce.
JEWELED LEMON SAUCE
- COOK 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and water in medium saucepan over medium heat until smooth and thickened.
- ADD lemon zest, lemon juice and butter; heat until warm.
Serving Size (1/12), Calories 230 (Calories from Fat 25), Total Fat 3g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 90mg, Sodium 300mg, Total Carbohydrate 44g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 33g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 6%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.