Country Ham and Cheese Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 10 min
- Total Time:
- 20 min
- 12 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked country ham
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk or buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- HEAT oven to 450°F. Spray baking sheets with no-stick cooking spray.
- PLACE flour in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is the size of peas.
- ADD ham, cheese and sour cream. Gradually add milk, stirring only enough to moisten flour and hold dough together.
- TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently two or three strokes. Gently pat or roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with floured 2-inch biscuit cutter, leaving as little dough between cuts as possible. Gather remaining dough; re-roll one time. Cut as described above. Discard scraps.
- PLACE on prepared baking sheet 1 inch apart for crisp sides or almost touching for soft sides.
- BAKE 8 to 10 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Brush tops with melted butter. Serve hot.
Serving Size (1 biscuit), Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 110), Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 420mg, Total Carbohydrate 16g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 1g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 15%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Self-rising flour is ideal for biscuit recipes because it ensures the correct amount of leavener is used, and that it's evenly distributed.
Roll biscuit dough to about 1/2-inch thickness to ensure good height. Cut biscuits with a sharp-edged cutter, straight down, without twisting the cutter.