Cornmeal Custard Pecan Pie
- Prep Time:
- 45 min
- Cook Time:
- 40 min
- Total Time:
- 2 hr
- 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
OR 1/2 cup Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 4 tablespoons ice cold water
PECAN PIE FILLING
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup light cream or whole milk
- 1/3 cup White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- COMBINE flour and salt in large bowl or bowl of food processor. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives, or if using food processor, add using a quick pulse, until mixture is the size of peas.
- ADD water a little at a time, tossing lightly with fork, or pulsing food processor only a few times, until dough is moist enough to hold together when pressed together.
- TURN onto lightly floured surface; press into a ball. Flatten ball and fold in half. Repeat three times. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- HEAT oven to 350°F.
- ROLL dough on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer dough to 9-inch pie plate by loosely rolling around rolling pin. Center rolling pin over pie plate; unroll, easing dough into pie plate.
- TRIM edges of dough, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Fold edge under. Flute dough as desired. Cover with plastic wrap and chill while preparing filling.
- COMBINE melted butter and sugar in large bowl. Beat in egg yolks, cream, cornmeal mix and vanilla. Beat egg whites in medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into filling. Fold in pecans. Pour into pie crust.
- BAKE 30 minutes. Cover top with foil tent that does not touch the filling. Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until center is set.
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/18 of pie), Calories 530 (Calories from Fat 310), Total Fat 34g (Saturated Fat 11g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 80mg, Sodium 330mg, Total Carbohydrate 51g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 26g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.