Cornbread Hoppin' John
- Prep Time:
- 30 min
- Cook Time:
- 12 min
- Total Time:
- 42 min
- 8 servings
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, diced into 1/4 cubes
- 2 (15.8 oz.) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Cornbread recipe from White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix, (see directions below)
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- COOK bacon in medium skillet until crisp. Remove bacon; drain skillet, reserving bacon drippings.
- RETURN 2 tablespoons drippings to skillet. Add onion and bell pepper; cook about 4 minutes, just until tender.
- ADD black-eyed peas and hot pepper sauce. Heat until simmering.
- PREPARE cornbread recipe according to directions on cornmeal mix package, except use a 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake 12 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into 2-inch squares.
- TOP with black-eyed pea mixture. Top with salsa, sour cream and crumbled bacon, if desired.
Serving Size (1/8 of recipe), Calories 400 (Calories from Fat 160), Total Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 40mg, Sodium 1060mg, Total Carbohydrate 49g (Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugars 4g), Protein 11g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 60%, Calcium 8%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
For a crisp crust on basic cornbread or corn sticks, preheat a greased skillet or corn stick pan before filling with batter.
The secret to great Southern cornbread is a well-seasoned cast-iron pan with a smooth, nonstick finish.