Cornbread Dressing with Bacon
- Prep Time:
- 25 min
- Cook Time:
- 1 hr
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 25 min
- 10 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 2 (8 1/2 oz.) cans cream-style corn
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning or dried sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray 13 x 9 x 2-inch or 2-quart baking dish with no-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- COOK bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon; set aside.
- RESERVE 2 tablespoons bacon drippings in skillet. Stir in onion and celery; cook and stir until onions are translucent. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- COMBINE cornmeal mix, cream-style corn, sour cream, butter, eggs, parsley, poultry seasoning and pepper until well combined. Stir in onion, celery and crumbled bacon. Pour into prepared dish.
- BAKE 45 minutes for 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan or about 60 minutes for 2-quart baking dish, or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Serving Size (1/10 of recipe), Calories 320 (Calories from Fat 150), Total Fat 17g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 100mg, Sodium 800mg, Total Carbohydrate 36g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 3g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 4%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
For moist Southern cornbread with a golden-brown crust, use good cornmeal and create a creamy, pourable, pancake-like batter. Bake in preheated cast-iron cookware.
For a crisp crust on basic cornbread or corn sticks, preheat a greased skillet or corn stick pan before filling with batter.