Chocolate Cake with Coconut and Raspberry Sauces
- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 30 min
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 40 min
- 12 servings
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Smucker's® Red Raspberry Preserves
- Powdered sugar
- Fresh raspberries
- Fresh mint leaves
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- COMBINE butter, water and cocoa powder in medium saucepan. Bring mixture just to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- ADD cocoa mixture to dry ingredients; beat at low speed of electric mixer just until combined. Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; beat 1 minute at low speed (batter will be thin).
- POUR batter into prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool.
- COMBINE sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Blend in butter, coconut and vanilla extracts. Cool. Makes 3 cups.
- HEAT preserves in small saucepan. Strain preserves. Makes 3/4 cup.
- CUT out twelve rounds of cake, using a 3-inch round cutter. (Save excess cake for snacks.) Lightly dust tops of cake rounds with powdered sugar.
- SPOON about 1/4 cup Coconut Sauce onto 12 serving plates. Place a cake round on top of sauce in center of plate.
- SPOON 8 small rounds of Raspberry Sauce evenly around cake on top of Coconut Sauce. Draw the top of a wooden toothpick through each round of Raspberry Sauce to form a heart or other decorative shape. Place fresh raspberries and mint sprigs on top, if desired. Serve immediately.
Serving Size (1/12 of recipe), Calories 570 (Calories from Fat 190), Total Fat 21g (Saturated Fat 13g, Trans Fat 0.5g), Cholesterol 90mg, Sodium 380mg, Total Carbohydrate 92g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 71g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 10%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.