Chicken and Dumplings
- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 25 min
- Total Time:
- 45 min
- 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour, divided
- 3 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- MELT butter in Dutch oven. Whisk in 1/4 cup flour. Reserve 1/2 cup chicken broth for dumplings. Gradually stir remaining chicken broth into Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- PLACE 2 cups flour in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until crumbs are the size of peas. Stir in reserved chicken broth just until dough leaves sides of bowl.
- TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead 2 to 3 times. Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut dough into 2- x 1-inch strips. Return broth to a boil. Add dough strips to boiling broth.
- REDUCE heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through, stirring occasionally. Stir in pepper, milk and chicken. Simmer 5 minutes.
Serving Size (1 of 4 servings), Calories 550 (Calories from Fat 200), Total Fat 22g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 90mg, Sodium 2090mg, Total Carbohydrate 53g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 3g), Protein 32g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 10%, Iron 30%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.