Blackberry Jam Cake
- Prep Time:
- 30 min
- Cook Time:
- 45 min
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 30 min
- 16 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup Smucker's® Seedless Blackberry Jam
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- HEAT oven to 350º F. Coat 10-inch fluted tube pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- BEAT sugar and shortening in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add jam and buttermilk. Beat 1 minute. Add flour, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Beat an additional 2 minutes at medium speed. Fold in dates and walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- BAKE 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on cooling rack.
- For Glaze: MELT butter in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in brown sugar. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add buttermilk and corn syrup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Gradually stir in powdered sugar. Blend until smooth.
- PLACE cake on serving plate. Spoon glaze over top, allowing it to run down the sides of the cake. Serve immediately or chill. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- To toast walnuts, place nuts in a dry nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat, shaking pan until nuts are lightly browned. Remove from pan immediately to prevent over-browning. Chop as desired.
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/16 of cake), Calories 380 (Calories from Fat 120), Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 3.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 240mg, Total Carbohydrate 63g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 46g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 8%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.