Biscuit-Topped Italian Casserole
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 30 min
- Total Time:
- 55 min
- 10 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 1/2 pounds Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups peeled, cubed, butternut squash (1/2-inch cubes)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (24 oz.) jar chunky garden vegetable pasta sauce
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2/3 cup milk or buttermilk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese or Italian blend cheese
- HEAT oven to 400ºF. Spray a 9 x13 x 2-inch baking dish or other 3-quart casserole dish with no-stick cooking spray.
- COOK sausage, bell peppers, onion and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until sausage is browned and crumbly. Drain. Add squash and cook 3 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and pasta sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- COMBINE flour and Italian seasoning in large bowl. Add milk, butter and cheese. Stir until dough leaves sides of bowl. Drop 12 tablespoonfuls of dough around edges of dish over sausage mixture.
- PLACE on baking pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until sausage mixture is bubbly and biscuits are golden. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Freezing Tip: Bake and cool casserole. Cover dish tightly with plastic wrap and then with aluminum foil. Place in freezer up to one month. Remove foil and plastic wrap. Reheat at 350ºF for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Serving Size (1/10 of recipe), Calories 360 (Calories from Fat 170), Total Fat 19g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 1130mg, Total Carbohydrate 34g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 9g), Protein 15g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 80%, Vitamin C 45%, Calcium 20%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.