Benne (Sesame) Seed Cookies
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 10 min
- Total Time:
- 50 min
- 24 servings
- 1 cup sesame seeds, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- HEAT oven to 375ºF. Place sesame seeds in shallow pan; toast 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely.
- COMBINE butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in large bowl; beat with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Stir into sugar mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup sesame seeds.
- ROLL dough into tablespoon sized balls; roll balls in remaining sesame seeds. Place on cookie sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart. Flatten with the bottom of a glass or press with hands.
- BAKE 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
Serving Size (1/24), Calories 140 (Calories from Fat 70), Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 65mg, Total Carbohydrate 166g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 8g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
To prevent cookies from browning too quickly on the bottom, place an empty baking sheet in the oven under the sheet with cookies.
To prevent cookies from becoming soggy, allow them to cool completely on wire racks before storing in an airtight container.